Re: CEDET merge

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: CEDET merge
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 22:03:24 +0200

>> The obvious solution is not to support CEDET on platforms with 8+3
>> filenames ...

> I'm no expert, but according to Eli, having files longer than 8+3
> in the tarball leads to problems unpacking the tarball on DOS, and
> other problems on some versions of Windows:

Supporting such antediluvian platforms is nice as long as it's
possible without too much effort. But if it becomes too much of a
burden one should reconsider if it's worthwhile (IMHO).

The renaming also increases the differences between Emacs and XEmacs
and packages intended for both will have to add further case
distinctions.

>> But couldn't at least the old feature names be provided by the
>> single files? (As it was done for newsticker-*, for example.)

> We can do that, but how does this solve the problem? The old
> `require' calls still won't find the correct file (unless we
> implement feature aliases or something like that).

It wouldn't solve it completely, but once the file is loaded the
feature (with the right name) will be present, and the third-party
package will run.

Ulrich