Re: Emacs Package Management

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs Package Management
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 00:39:23 -0400

Stefan> You mean that it "does" all those steps, right?
Stefan> Not that it "distinguishes" them, right?  IOW, it collapses "activate"
Stefan> and "make available" into a single entity.

> Yeah, sorry about that.

> The reason it is this way is just that I thought the UI was better.
> Few people have asked for a separate "deactivated" state.

> Naturally, it is implementable.  I still think the default on
> installation should be to activate; requiring two steps seems
> user-unfriendly.

Yes, I agree on the UI front.  But I think it's important to let the
user have more control, when she needs it.  So the default will be to
auto-activate.

        Stefan