Re: Emacs Package Management

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Emacs Package Management
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 14:18:56 -0600

Stefan> In order to move forward on this thing, here's what I'd like to have as
Stefan> a first step: the equivalent of `dpkg', i.e. an elisp package that can
Stefan> take a package (a tarball, most likely) and "install it", list the set
Stefan> of installed packages, uninstall a package.

I was thinking more about integrating package.el and I remembered one
problem.

Right now, package.el byte-compiles at install time.  However, this
yields incorrect results if the .elc format changes incompatibly, and
the user upgrades Emacs.  I believe this has happened in the past.

We discussed a solution to this long ago: putting the .elc files into a
shadow directory hierarchy.  Is this still a good idea?

I will start a branch in the emacs-mt git repository to test out
integration.

Tom