Re: Why does the emacs executable depend on SOME_MACHINE_LISP?

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Why does the emacs executable depend on SOME_MACHINE_LISP?
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 12:24:12 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>    date: 2008-07-03 23:39:37 -0400;  author: monnier;  state: Exp;  lines: +6
> -1;  commitid: kLQlf04BwIcb9r9t;
>    (${etc}DOC): Depend on ${lisp} rather than ${shortlisp}.
>
> is a good explanation: when I applied that patch DOC did not depend on
> ${lisp}.  So you're probably right that we can now undo this change to
> emacs${EXEEXT}.
>
> I'm curious, tho: why do you ask?

No hidden agenda, just curious, as I said. I wondered why my GNU/Linux
emacs needed eg ns-win.elc pre-compiled (because of DOC), and how it
managed to work at all when eg common-win.elc was missing from $lisp
(because $SOME_MACHINE_LISP saved us). Then I wondered what was going
on with the dependencies in general. Thanks for explaining.