Re: CEDET merge

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: CEDET merge
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 21:44:24 -0400

"Eric M. Ludlam" <address@hidden> writes:

>> Building in EDE should now work---provided Semantic is enabled from the
>> start.  We still need to provide a way for SRecode to call Semantic to
>> parse the template buffer, when Semantic is not currently enabled (this
>> functionality will be useful for other parts of Emacs too).
>
> Semantic can parse files even if all the other related utilities are
> never enabled.  As long as srecode-template-mode sets up the parser info
> itself, and not in the new "semantic-mode", then it can use the Semantic
> API to parse buffers during template compilation without interfering
> with someones desire to not enable Semantic parsing and utilities in
> other files, like C++ mode.

How about this:

In the Emacs-integrated version of Semantic, we semantic-new-buffer-fcn
so that it runs the mode-dependent parser setup functions before doing
anything else.  This is as opposed to running the parser setup functions
from the mode-hooks, as your upstream code does, or in the body of
semantic-mode, as the Emacs version currently does.  So, when srecode
calls semantic-new-buffer-fcn, the right setup will take place.

What do you think?