Re: CEDET merge

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: CEDET merge
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 10:37:14 -0400

"Eric M. Ludlam" <address@hidden> writes:

> Of course, that change would force mode-local to start up, which would
> then enable any other similarly configured mode.

I'm not sure what this point is.  Loading Semantic already loads
mode-local, because semantic-fw.el (or semantic/fw.el for Emacs CEDET)
needs it.

> How could semantic-mode add something to Emacs' running environment to
> dynamically load in a language's support file?  Would that still be
> via mode-hooks?

I was thinking something like this:

(defcustom semantic-new-buffer-setup-functions
  '((js-mode . wisent-javascript-setup-parser)
    (java-mode . wisent-java-default-setup)
    ...))

(defun semantic-new-buffer-fcn ()
  (let ((entry (assq major-mode semantic-new-buffer-setup-functions)))
    (when entry
      (funcall (cdr entry))))
   ... do the stuff we normally do)

The point is to avoid running the setup-parser functions in the mode
hooks, because semantic-mode may not be enabled (and the solution used
upstream, adding it to mode hooks via autoloads, is not acceptable
either because there's then no convenient way to disable Semantic).