Re: Switch the Windows port to using Unicode keyboard input

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Switch the Windows port to using Unicode keyboard input
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 22:46:28 +0800

Eugen Anghel wrote:
Technically, there is the Microsoft Layer for Unicode, but I've never
used it, so I don't know how or if it works.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Layer_for_Unicode

It is non-Free, and you have to explicitly link against it to get its benefits, so it can't be used with Emacs.

Is ENCODE_UTF_8(title) correct? Isn't AppendMenuW expecting an utf-16 string?

It is, but the conversion from UTF-8 to UTF-16 is done later, using the function utf8to16. With your patch, the utf-16-le coding is made available, so that can be used instead, eliminating this extra (trivial since UTF-8 is basically the internal encoding for all Unicode supported characters) step.