Re: FYI, emacs.git repo size: now 155M, was 1.1G

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: FYI, emacs.git repo size: now 155M, was 1.1G
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 08:12:11 -0400

On Oct 9, 2009, at 4:31 AM, Jim Meyering wrote:

Note that if your own emacs/.git/ directory is larger than say 200M,
you too can save some space by running "git gc".

Wouldn't it do that automatically once a month?

The other space-saving function is "git-new-workdir". I think it's "contrib" rather than installed by default, but it's a life-saver when "git checkout" takes a bit too long (it takes maybe 5 seconds for me to switch to another branch with my Emacs repository). It creates a separate directory with just a different branch, while sharing the a central (yet local) repository. Kind of like how Bazaar does it. This saves a lot of space - and time: it's a excellent solution when re-building takes a long time after switching branches.