Bidirectional editing in Emacs -- main design decisions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Bidirectional editing in Emacs -- main design decisions
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 23:18:00 +0200

As some of you know, I'm slowly working on adding support for
bidirectional editing in Emacs.  (Before you ask: the code is not
publicly available yet, and won't be until Emacs switches to bzr as
its main VCS.)

While there's a lot of turf to be covered yet, I thought I'd publish
the main design decisions up to this point.  Many of these decisions
were discussed at length years ago on emacs-bidi mailing list, and
since then I also talked them over in private email with a few people.
Other decisions were made recently, as I went about changing the
display engine.

My goal, and the main drive behind these design decisions was to
preserve as much as possible the basic assumptions and design
principles of the current Emacs display engine.  This is not just
opportunism; I firmly believe that any other way would mean a total
redesign and rewrite of the display engine, which is something we want
to avoid.  Personally, if such a redesign would be necessary, I
couldn't have participated in that endeavor, except as advisor.

With that preamble out of my way, here's what I can tell about the
subject at this point:

1. Text storage

   Bidirectional text in Emacs buffers and strings is stored in strict
   logical order (a.k.a. "reading order").  This is how most (if not
   all) other implementations handle bidirectional text.  The
   advantage of this is that file and process I/O is trivial, as well
   as text search.  The disadvantage is that text needs to be
   reordered for display (see below) and also for sending to any other
   visual-order stream, such as a printer or a file in visual-order
   encoding.

2. Support for Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm

   The Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm, described in Annex 9 of the
   Unicode Standard (a.k.a. UAX#9, see http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr9/),
   specifies how to reorder bidirectional text from logical to visual
   order.  Emacs will belong to the so-called "Full Bidirectionality"
   class of applications, which include support for both implicit
   bidirectional reordering and explicit directional embedding codes
   that allow to override the implicit reordering.  This means that
   Emacs supports the entire spectrum of Unicode character properties
   and special codes relevant to bidirectional text.

3. Bidi formatting codes are retained

   At some point in the reordering described by UAX#9, the various
   formatting codes are to be removed from the text, once they've
   performed their role of forcing the order of characters for
   display, because they are not supposed to be visible on display.
   Contrary to this, Emacs does not remove these formatting codes, it
   just behaves as if they are not there. (This behavior is
   acknowledged by UAX#9 under "Retaining Format Codes" clause, so
   Emacs does not break conformance here.)  This is primarily because
   Emacs must preserve the text that was not edited; in particular,
   visiting a file and then saving it to a different file without
   changing anything must produce the same byte stream as the original
   file, even if the formatting codes were part of the original file.
   In addition, being able to show these formatting codes to the user
   is a valuable feature, because the way reordered text looks might
   not be otherwise understood or changed easily.

4. Reordering of text for display

   Reordering for display happens as part of Emacs redisplay.  In a
   nutshell, the current unidirectional redisplay code walks through
   buffer text and considers each character in turn.  After each
   character is processed and translated into a `struct glyph', which
   includes all the information needed for displaying that character,
   the iterator's position is incremented to the next character.

   In the bidi Emacs, this _linear_ iteration through the buffer is
   replaced with a _non-linear_ one, whereby instead of incrementing
   buffer position, a function is called to return the next position
   in the visual order.  Whatever position it returns is processed
   "glyph matrices" (data structures used to decide which parts of the
   screen need to be redrawn) is largely ignorant of the
   bidirectionality of the text.  Of course, parts of the display
   engine that manipulate the glyph matrices directly and assume that
   buffer positions increase monotonically with glyph positions need
   to be fixed or rewritten.  But these parts of the display are
   relatively few and localized.  Also, some redisplay optimizations
   need to be disabled when bidirectional text is rendered for
   display.

5. Visual-order information is volatile

   There were lots of discussions several years ago about whether
   Emacs should record in some way the information needed to reorder
   text into visual order of the characters, to reuse it later.  In
   UAX#9 terminology, this information is the "resolved level" of each
   character.  Various features were suggested as a vehicle for this,
   for example, some special text properties (except that text
   properties, unlike resolved levels, cannot overlap).  Lots of
   energy went into discussing how this information would be recorded
   and how it will be reused, e.g. if portion of the text was
   copy-pasted into a different buffer or string.  The complications,
   it turns out, are abound.

   The current design doesn't record this information at all.  It
   simply recomputes it each time a buffer or string need to be
   displayed or sent to a visual-order stream.  The resolved levels
   are computed during reordering, then forgotten.  It turns out that
   bidirectional iteration through buffer text is not much more
   expensive than the current unidirectional one.  The implementation
   of UAX#9 written for Emacs is efficient enough to make any
   long-term caching of resolved levels unnecessary.

6. Reordering of strings from `display' properties

   Strings that are values of `display' text properties and overlay
   properties are reordered individually.  This matters when such
   properties cover adjacent portions of buffer text, back to back.
   For example, PROP1 is associated with buffer positions P1 to P2,
   and PROP2 immediately follows it, being associated with positions
   P2 to P3.  The current design calls for reordering the characters
   of the strings that are the values of PROP1 and PROP2 separately.
   An alternative would be to feed them concatenated into the
   reordering algorithm, in which case the characters coming from
   PROP2 could end up displayed before (to the left) of the characters
   coming from PROP1.  However, this alternative requires a major
   surgery of several parts of the display code.  (Interested readers
   are advised to read the code of set_cursor_from_row in xdisp.c, as
   just one example.)  It's not clear what is TRT to do in this case
   anyway; I'm not aware of any other application that provides
   similar features, so there's nothing I could compare it to.  So I
   decided to go with the easier design.  If the application needs a
   single long string, it can always collapse two or more `display'
   properties into one long one.

   Another, perhaps more serious implication of this design decision
   is that strings from `display' properties are reordered separately
   from the surrounding buffer text.  IOW, production of glyphs from
   reordered buffer text is stopped when a `display' property is
   found, the string that is the property's value is reordered and
   displayed, and then the rest of text is reordered and its glyphs
   produced.  The effect will be visible, e.g., when a `display'
   string is embedded in right-to-left text in otherwise left-to-right
   paragraph text.  Again, I think in the absence of clear "prior
   art", simplicity of design and the amount of changes required in
   the existing display engine win here.

7. Paragraph base direction

   Bidirectional text can be rendered in left-to-right or in
   right-to-left paragraphs.  The former is used for mostly
   left-to-right text, possibly with some embedded right-to-left text.
   The latter is used for text that is mostly or entirely
   right-to-left.  Right-to-left paragraphs are displayed flushed all
   the way to the right margin of the display; this is how users of
   right-to-left scripts expect to see text in their languages.

   UAX#9 specifies how to determine whether this attribute of a
   paragraph, called "base direction", is one or the other, by finding
   the first strong directional character in the paragraph.  However,
   the Unicode Character Database specifies that NL and CR characters
   are paragraph separators, which means each line is a separate
   paragraph, as far as UAX#9 is concerned.  If Emacs would follow
   UAX#9 to the letter, each line could have different base direction,
   which is, of course, intolerable.  We could avoid this nonsense by
   using the "soft newline" or similar features, but I firmly believe
   that Emacs should DTRT with bidirectional text even in the simplest
   modes, including the Fundamental mode, where every newline is hard.

   Fortunately, UAX#9 acknowledges that applications could have other
   ideas about what is a "paragraph".  It calls this ``higher
   protocol''.  So I decided to use such a higher protocol -- namely,
   the Emacs definition of a paragraph, as determined by the
   `paragraph-start' and `paragraph-separate' regexps.  Therefore, the
   first strong directional character after `paragraph-start' or
   `paragraph-separate' determines the paragraph direction, and that
   direction is kept for all the lines of the paragraph, until another
   `paragraph-separate' is found.  (Of course, this means that
   inserting a single character near the beginning of a paragraph
   might affect the display of all the lines in that paragraph, so
   some of the current redisplay optimizations which deal with changes
   to a single line need to be disabled in this case.)

   There is a buffer-specific variable `paragraph-direction' that
   allows to override this dynamic detection of the direction of each
   paragraph, and force a certain base direction on all paragraphs in
   the buffer.  I expect, for example, each major mode for a
   programming language to force the left-to-right paragraph
   direction, because programming languages are written left to right,
   and right-to-left scripts appear in such buffers only in strings
   embedded in the program or in comments.

8. User control of visual order

   UAX#9 does not always produce perfect results on the screen.
   Notable cases where it doesn't are related to characters such as
   `+' and `-' which have more than one role: they can be used in
   mathematical context or in plain-text context; the "correct"
   reordering turns out to be different in each case.

   Again, lots of energy was invested in past discussions how to
   prevent these blunders.  Several clever heuristics are known to
   avoid that.  The problem is that all those heuristics contradict
   UAX#9, which means text that looks OK in Emacs will look different
   (i.e. wrong) in another application.

   I decided it was unjustified to deviate from UAX#9.  Its algorithm
   already provides the solution to this problem: users can always
   control the visual order by inserting special formatting codes at
   strategic places.  These codes are by default not shown in the
   displayed text, but they influence the resolved directionality of
   the surrounding characters, and thus change their visual order.  We
   could (and probably should) have commands in Emacs to control the
   visual order that will work simply by inserting the appropriate
   formatting codes.  For example, a paragraph starting with an Arabic
   letter could nonetheless be rendered as left-to-right paragraph by
   inserting the LRM code before that Arabic character; Emacs could
   have a command called, say, `make-paragraph-left-to-right' that did
   its job simply by inserting LRM at the beginning of the paragraph.

   This design kills two birds: (a) it produces text that is compliant
   with other applications, and will display the same as in Emacs, and
   (b) it avoids the need to invent yet another Emacs infrastructure
   feature to keep information such as paragraph direction outside of
   the text itself.

That is all for now.  If you have comments or questions, you are
welcome to voice them.  However, I reserver the right to respond only
to those I'm interested in and/or have time for. ;-)