Re: ignoring autoloads in preloaded files on Windows

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: ignoring autoloads in preloaded files on Windows
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 07:13:28 +0200

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 06:17, Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> wrote:

> Aha. I think you're generating echolisp.tmp in the root, instead of
> lib-src/.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

> If I move it to source and regenerate the autoloads, I see
> "skipped" indeed:

That's true indeed.

The real problem is that, in

  (when (ignore-errors
          (delete-file tmpfile)
          (shell-command (format "make -C %s echolisp > %s"
                                 mdir tmpfile))
          (file-readable-p tmpfile))
     ...)

`delete-file' has to be inside its own (ignore-errors); otherwise,
executing the function when there's no echolisp.tmp will skip the make
generation altogether. This is why copying a fresh echolisp.tmp to
lib-src worked.

Changing the code to

(when (ignore-errors
        (ignore-errors (delete-file tmpfile))
        (shell-command (format "make -C %s echolisp > %s"
                               mdir tmpfile))
        (file-readable-p tmpfile))

works, both bootstrapping and doing "make autoloads".

That said, right now loaddefs.el is 27241 bytes shorter than before,
or 97,76% of what used to be. Not much of a gain.

    Juanma