Re: Interactive ucs-insert fails in HEAD

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Interactive ucs-insert fails in HEAD
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 09:52:04 +0200

> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 21:47:59 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 18:21, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Why is there reason to exclude any characters from ucs-names?
> >
> > Anyway, if there are good reasons, they should be stated in a comment
> > near the exclusion code.  Also, I'd suggest to have some test run when
> > the Unicode database is updated, to reveal any additional characters
> > to be excluded, so that in the future such breakage could be avoided
> > with less pain.
>
> In fact, I think there's no reason to exclude names, except for the
> ranges in UnicodeData.txt (Surrogates, Ideograph Extensions, etc.).

If you mean entries like this one:

    20000;<CJK Ideograph Extension B, First>;Lo;0;L;;;;;N;;;;;
    2A6D6;<CJK Ideograph Extension B, Last>;Lo;0;L;;;;;N;;;;;

then I agree.  Still, I don't understand how including them could
screw completion in ucs-insert.  Can you explain?

Anyway, we now skip entries like this as well:

    1F210;SQUARED CJK UNIFIED IDEOGRAPH-624B

which I think we don't need to skip.