Re: Bidirectional editing in Emacs -- main design decisions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bidirectional editing in Emacs -- main design decisions
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 13:38:15 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 05:16:58 -0400
>
>     The reason for this deliberate deviation from the letter of Emacs
>     definition of a paragraph are complicated, but the upshot is that from
>     the user point of view, it does not make sense to change paragraph
>     direction if the paragraph separator does not begin at the beginning
>     of a line.
>
> The only case when the paragraph separator does not begin at the
> beginning of a line is when the left margin is nonzero.

I'm not sure I understand the situation you are describing.  (The word
"margin" is too overloaded, even if we confine ourselves to Emacs
parlance alone.)  Could you please provide an example of such a
paragraph?  Then I could reason about it.

> Why should these paragraphs be different from other paragraphs
> with regard to direction of text?

They are not "different", they just follow the base direction of the
preceding paragraph.