Re: Interactive ucs-insert fails in HEAD

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Interactive ucs-insert fails in HEAD
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 13:44:02 +0200

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 09:52, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> If you mean entries like this one:
>
>    20000;<CJK Ideograph Extension B, First>;Lo;0;L;;;;;N;;;;;
>    2A6D6;<CJK Ideograph Extension B, Last>;Lo;0;L;;;;;N;;;;;
>
> then I agree.  Still, I don't understand how including them could
> screw completion in ucs-insert.  Can you explain?

Is not that they screw completion, is that they provide no name for
completion. You still can use ucs-insert to insert them by codepoint
number.

> What I meant is to have something that detects in UnicodeData.txt the
> pattern of entries which need to be excluded.  For example, if entries
> ike this are the only ones:

    4DB5;<CJK Ideograph Extension A, Last>;Lo;0;L;;;;;N;;;;;

> then detecting bracketed text where a character name should be would
> suffice.  We could then run such a script as part of what
> admin/Makefile does for the unidata.txt file it creates, and display a
> proper message.

unidata-setup-list already detects these kind of ranges and deals with them.

> Anyway, we now skip entries like this as well:
>
>    1F210;SQUARED CJK UNIFIED IDEOGRAPH-624B
>
> which I think we don't need to skip.

As I said before, I agree: we *shouldn't* need to skip them. But
somehow, the process in unidata-gen.el that creates the chartables
with codepoint information is generating bad data exclusively for that
range: U+1F200..U+1F2FF (which are not the only characters added in
5.2.0, BTW). That's what triggered the ucs-insert error: getting the
name of one of those characters returns a number instead of a symbol.
I'm trying to determine why the bad data is generated in the first
place.

    Juanma