Re: Bidirectional editing in Emacs -- main design decisions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bidirectional editing in Emacs -- main design decisions
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 16:06:59 +0200

> From: Sascha Wilde <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 15:44:19 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > 8. User control of visual order
> [...]
> >    Emacs could
> >    have a command called, say, `make-paragraph-left-to-right' that did
> >    its job simply by inserting LRM at the beginning of the paragraph.
>
> I would suggest that Emacs should also have a way to visualize the
> otherwise invisible text direction marks so that:
>
> - it becomes transparent to the user whether the direction of an
>   specific portion of the text is explicit or implicit defined
>
> - the user is provided with a simple way to remove the marks in case he
>   wants to.  (By simply deleting them the way he would do with any other
>   regular character.)

Yes.  That's what this part of my longish message was trying to say:

   In addition, being able to show these formatting codes to the user
   is a valuable feature, because the way reordered text looks might
   not be otherwise understood or changed easily.

The "direction marks" you mention are the "formatting codes" I wrote
about.