Re: Bidirectional editing in Emacs -- main design decisions

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Bidirectional editing in Emacs -- main design decisions
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 00:29:27 +0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Does the function font-shape-gstring help with fitting this in?

I'm sorry to say that I don't understand what it does.  If you can
explain, or give me an educational example to play with, maybe I will
be able to answer your question, my profound ignorance of GUI
rendering notwithstanding.

On second thoughts, it probably doesn't help for two reasons: font-shape-gstring uses the font backend to do glyph reordering, which would give inconsistent results on different platforms; and I just realised that to work on terminals, the font backend is the wrong place to be doing bidi reordering.

Which is why I tried

Apologies for skimming over parts of your message.