Re: Bidirectional editing in Emacs -- main design decisions

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Bidirectional editing in Emacs -- main design decisions
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 04:41:22 -0400

    > The only case when the paragraph separator does not begin at the
    > beginning of a line is when the left margin is nonzero.

    I'm not sure I understand the situation you are describing.  (The word
    "margin" is too overloaded, even if we confine ourselves to Emacs
    parlance alone.)  Could you please provide an example of such a
    paragraph?  Then I could reason about it.

I can't give you an example, but move-to-left-margin shows
what it means to be at the left margin.  It is a matter of
matching the paragraph regexps after the right amount of whitespace
as specified by the value of `left-margin'.

When `left-margin' is nonzero, a line which fails to start with that much
whitespace also starts a paragraph.

    > Why should these paragraphs be different from other paragraphs
    > with regard to direction of text?

    They are not "different", they just follow the base direction of the
    preceding paragraph.

To be fully correct, it ought to detect paragraphs correctly when
`left-margin' is nonzero.  I think that won't be hard to do.