Re: 64-bit compilation and printfs

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: 64-bit compilation and printfs
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 11:17:48 -0700 (PDT)

Adrian Robert <address@hidden> writes:

  > On Oct 14, 2009, at 12:40 PM, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  >
  > > It looks like this the 64-bit mode uses the 32-bit configuration file.
  > > From configure.in:
  > >
  > >  ## Apple Darwin / Mac OS X
  > >  *-apple-darwin* )
  > >    case "${canonical}" in
  > >      i[3456]86-* )  machine=intel386 ;;
  > >      powerpc-* )    machine=macppc ;;
  > >      * )            unported=yes ;;
  > >    esac
  > >
  > > there should be an:
  > >      x86_64-* )       machine=amdx86-64 ;;
  > > in that "case".
  > >
  > > that will allow to remove this from emacs/src/s/intel386.h:
  > >
  > > #if defined (DARWIN_OS)
  > > #ifdef _LP64
  > > /* For Intel Mac, with CC='gcc -arch x86_64'.  */
  > > #define NO_ARG_ARRAY
  > > #endif
  > > #endif
  > >
  > > there shouldn't be any _LP64 checks in that file.
  >
  > OK, I'm adding the first and taking the second out.  It hasn't fired
  > in some time anyway as DARWIN_OS is not defined yet (machine file
  > comes before system file in config.h).
  >
  > However, what is the purpose of the defining of START_FILES in
  > amdx86-64.h?  The default case is:
  >
  > #define START_FILES pre-crt0.o /usr/lib/crt1.o /usr/lib/crti.o
  > #define LIB_STANDARD -lgcc -lc -lgcc /usr/lib/crtn.o
  >
  > None of those files are on OS X machines (not sure about non-OS X
  > Darwin).
  >
  > I can exclude it under __APPLE__ but wanted to know why it was there
  > first.

This is a convoluted mess, I'm wondering if anyone has a full
understanding of what is going on with all these flags.

It looks like you are defining START_FILES in darwin.h anyway, so
you can just leave it alone in amdx86-64.h.
Does LIBS_STANDARD get used at all on OS X?  If not, just ignore it
(or #undefine it in darwin.h if it does...)