Re: Replace selective-display in Gnus

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Replace selective-display in Gnus
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 08:51:43 +0900

> On Fri, Oct 16 2009, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
[...]
>> NOTE:
>> XEmacs 21.4 and SXEmacs users need to have the `calendar' XEmacs
>> package installed, that provides the `add-to-invisibility-spec'
>> function in auto-autoloads.el.

> That is a strange dependency.  Why is such a (core) function defined
> in the calendar package?

Actually that function is defined in cal-compat.el along with
the ";;;###autoload" directive.  There are also many Emacs compat
functions, `line-beginning-position', `match-string-no-properties',
`propertize', etc. defined in similar ways.  Maybe those were
introduced when importing calender from Emacs.

> If we keep this dependency, please add it to (info "(gnus)XEmacs")
> and add an appropriate error message at runtime.

Besides the calendar package, the c-support package and the semantic
package use `add-to-invisibility-spec', too; the former provides
the function definition by itself but the later doesn't.  It seems
to be beyond control of Gnus to guide users about it or tidy it up.

> But the whole point of these changes were to allow to declare
> selective-display obsolete in the current Emacs version (Gnus is the
> only use).  Adding so many compatibility hacks is ugly, IMHO.  I'd
> rather keep the old selective-display code for Emacs 21 and XEmacs
> (with appropriate feature tests for `remove-overlays'
> `next-single-char-property-change'.  WDYT?

In order to replace the selective-display feature, now the Gnus
head uses the overlay functions for Emacs and the extent functions
for XEmacs, and both work properly in all the Emacs versions that
Gnus supports.  The compat hacks I added (`gnus-overlay-get' and
`gnus-overlays-in') are not so many and they follow Gnus' way
(i.e., not using fsf-compat/overlay.el).  So, keeping the old
selective-display code for some Emacsen is not necessary, I believe.

Cf. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.commits/6239

Regards,