Re: Completions in Semantic

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Completions in Semantic
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:29:55 -0400

>> E.g. Info-complete-menu-item builds the table dynamically, using the
>> prefix to try and build a smaller table, and reusing the previously
>> built table if the completion is in the same context as the last one and
>> the earlier prefix is a prefix of the new one.

> I agree.  It just wasn't available when I wrote that stuff against Emacs
> 21.  (2003?)

Not that it matters, but the version of minibuf.c from "Sun 1993-05-23
03:32:05 +0000" says:

   DEFUN ("try-completion", Ftry_completion, Stry_completion, 2, 3, 0,
   [...]
   ALIST can also be a function to do the completion itself.\n\
   It receives three arguments: the values STRING, PREDICATE and nil.\n\
   Whatever it returns becomes the value of `try-completion'.\n\

> * Inline completion in a buffer.  (ie - keymap, recursive-edit,
>   minibuffer like, but in the buffer text with the intention of
>   inserting that text..)

You mean like lisp-complete-symbol but modal?

> * Option for using a CLOS object as an input to these tools.
>   (ie - completion classes inherit from some interface.)
>   as a way of managing persistent data between completion events.
>   Just a favorite of mine, I'm sure.

The functions that you can pass to try-completion and friends are
basically objcts: the 3rd argument is the method to call.  So it should
be trivial to write a wrapper that takes a CLOS object obeying
a completion-interface and returns a lambda expression suitable for
try-completion and friends.

        Stefan