Re: nterm a vt100 emulator

From: Ivan Kanis
Subject: Re: nterm a vt100 emulator
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 07:29:22 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> term and terminal are not meant to be full emulation.  term has
>> a pager and line mode which nterm doesn't do.  nterm doesn't track
>> current directory like term does.
>
> That makes it sound like nterm is like term but with less features.
> I'm sure there's an upside to it.  Also, if you could explain how these
> different design decisions affect the ability to fix the original cursor
> bug, that would be great.

The recorder takes a trace of characters received by the
terminal. Someone can easily reproduce a bug by replaying the trace
both on xterm and nterm. I don't think term has that feature.

For now it's only a vt100 emulator, I think it can become a xterm
emulator with a little bit of work.

> Does it adapt to a window's size or does it have a fixed size
> independent from the window where the buffer is displayed?

It has a fixed size for now.
--
Ivan
Kanis http://kanis.fr

Wisdom is oftentimes nearer when we stoop than when we soar.
    -- William Wordsworth