Re: Custom themes and simple variables

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: Custom themes and simple variables
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 19:55:01 +0200

* Chong Yidong (2009-10-23) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The idea now is that the list of predefined viewers only contains
>> viewers for the chosen platform.  Per default viewers available on
>> GNU/Linux would be offered but if a theme for MiKTeX on Windows were
>> enabled, only viewers available on Windows would be displayed.
>
> Why not automatically detect the system type in the initialization form
> for either the defvar'ed list of built-in viewers, or the defcustom
> default for the user viewer?  I.e., either
>
> (defvar available-viewers (cond (eq system-type 'gnu/linux) ....))
>
> or
>
> (defcustom my-viewer (cond (eq system-type 'gnu/linux) ....))
>
> depending on whichever makes more sense for the particular situation.

The operating system is not the only condition influencing the list of
viewers (and at least one additional internal variable).  Another
important one is the TeX system in use.  And I could imagine that there
are even people with multiple TeX systems installed who'd like to be
able to switch between them.  Custom themes would make that quite
convenient.

Currently something like this is used in the files users can require to
activate platform-specific settings:

(unless (get 'TeX-kpathsea-path-delimiter 'saved-value)
  (setq TeX-kpathsea-path-delimiter nil))

It's working but it's a bit less convenient.

--
Ralf