Re: BASE_PURESIZE

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: BASE_PURESIZE
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 12:22:04 +0200

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 13:41:50 +0900
>
> 2.  252 KiB is not negligible, I suppose, but these days the systems
>     Emacs runs on typically sport >1GB of memory, and since that's
>     pure space even with multiple instances of Emacs running that is
>     all that will be wasted ever.

First, we had changes committed lately that save much less than that
(FWIW, I support them).  The memory size is large nowadays, but it's
all taken by programs that have even larger memory footprint.

More importantly, I think the issue here is that the numbers I
presented indicate that there's something wrong with the way we
compute PURESIZE, because on some hosts it seems to be exactly right,
while on others it wastes a lot of memory.

> 3.  To save the space, dump twice, the second time using the precise
>     number you can measure from the first try.

PURESIZE is a compile-time C constant, it cannot be changed at dump
time.  You need to recompile.