Re: persistent lisp objects

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: persistent lisp objects
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:18:34 -0500

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 11:26:50 +0100 Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden> wrote:

TV> somebody write something to save hash-table, lists, etc... in a data
TV> base.

I think this is worth pursuing, and I've brought it up before.  What
persistence layer would be good so external databases can be "plugged"
in?  Ideally it should be able to handle everything from flat files and
SQLite to cloud storage (e.g. Amazon S3), user-defined code, and
traditional RDBMSs.

It should also be able to cache the data intelligently and be able to
force a cache update, like Memcached.  Does something like this exist?

I think hash tables are a good single choice for the data structures.  A
hash table tied to the persistence layer is easier to cache, iterate,
and control than generic lists.  Supporting both hash tables and lists
is extra work for little gain IMO.

Ted