Re: EDE regenerates autotools files to often

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: EDE regenerates autotools files to often
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 18:24:52 +0100

"Eric M. Ludlam" <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 15:22 +0100, Sascha Wilde wrote:
>> It seems that EDE automake projects re-invoke autoreconf on every build
>> command (ede-compile-target, ede-compile-project, ede-make-dist).
>> This takes a serious amount of time.
[...]
>   Your previous bugs indicated that we needed to call autoreconf all the
> time.

In this case my bug report was unclear.  Calling autoreconf all the time
is definitely to much.  ;-)

> A side effect was that the auto scale-back of calling the
> miscellaneous autoconf features was removed.
>
> I would guess that there is some simple algorithm that could be used,
> but I don't know what it might be as I haven't looked into it much.

In most cases autoreconf needs only to be called once for a project: to
create all the infrastructure scripts used by the auto tools.  After
that changes to configure.ac or Makefile.am trigger automatic
regeneration (via the "missing" script) of all depending files during an
regular build.  For example:
  % touch configure.ac
  % make
  cd . && /bin/sh /tmp/EDE-Automake-Test-1.0/missing --run aclocal-1.10
  cd . && /bin/sh /tmp/EDE-Automake-Test-1.0/missing --run automake-1.10 --gnu
  cd . && /bin/sh /tmp/EDE-Automake-Test-1.0/missing --run autoconf
  /bin/sh ./config.status --recheck
  running CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/sh /bin/sh ./configure  --prefix /tmp/test
--no-create --no-recursion
[...]

so the easiest strategy might be to only run autoreconf when the basic
infrastructure (missing, ltmain.sh, etc -- I'm no autotools expert, so I
don't really know what would be an good list of files to check for) is
missing.

Additionally maybe interactive call of ede-proj-regenerate should force
autoreconf, too.

cheers
ssacha
--
Sascha Wilde
Life's too short to read boring signatures