Re: Customizing the mode line

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Customizing the mode line
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:18:27 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Cc: <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:54:18 -0700
>
> I disagree with these statements about minor-mode indicators:
>  - once you've seen the list of minor modes, you don't need it anymore
>  - only the major mode is needed in the mode line
>
> Two reasons:
>
> 1. Access to the minor-mode menus (same as for the major mode).

This could be solved by the menu we pop up when you click on the major
mode.  It could provide access to minor modes as well.

> 2. Current minor-mode status. The minor-mode indicator (lighter) can be a way
> convey status. I use it that way in Icicles for instance, to tell users during
> input: (a) whether completion is available, (b) input case-sensitivity, (c)
> require-match, (d) multi-command completion.

This just means there should be an option to show the minor-mode
mnemonic, and that Icicles should turn it on.

> I disagree with Eli's suggestion of showing the whole mode line in the echo
> area.

That was meant as an addition to what the mode line shows, not as a
substitute for it.