Re: Grand Unified Debugger Rewrite's process buffer: comint, eterm or

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Grand Unified Debugger Rewrite's process buffer: comint, eterm or
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 15:19:16 -0400

> I have started to rewrite gud from the ground up.

That's interesting.  I hope you will start with the assumption that
there are several active GUD sessions (each using potentially different
debuggers for different languages).  It's a kind of change that's
difficult to make after the fact, but that's fairly easy to build-in
from the beginning.

> 1. I can stick with comint.el. It seems the most creaky.
> 2. term.el is pretty cool, but it doesn't provide a hook to run when
> output is produced and this is something I need. I use it both in
> comint.el and eshell.el in "shell tracker" (think pdb-track) mode. So
> this leads to the last choice ...

In order to make a choice, I think we need to know what problems we're
trying to address.

        Stefan