Re: How to recognize keyboard insertion?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: How to recognize keyboard insertion?
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 17:37:07 +0000

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

To simplify, this means that a `(' should be mirrored when surrounded
by strong R2L characters, but not when surrounded by Latin characters
or European digits.

It IS only mirrored when surrounded by rtl characters, that was
what I included the nonsense string for.  When not so surrounded,
it, Shift-9 generates ")" /and it is shown as ")"/. Arabic keyboards still have ( printed on 9, so I guess they work majority-rtl (which would make sense).

Alternatively, we will need to mirror characters even if their
directionality is L

I don't see why. Other apps don't.

For example, try typing "9*(4+5)" after switching to Arabic keyboard.
What do you get?

9*)4+5(

surrounded:

ثثث9*)4+5(ثثث
- but that was when I typed the expression as if LtR (i.e. hitting 9 first), I suspect an arabic person might type

ثثث(5+4)*9ثثث

- i.e. hitting ")" first when transcribing "9*(4+5)". Then it just works I think as above (I'm including a screenshot from icedove just in case)

Quail cannot easily know the context: it can only mirror these
characters always, which is not right, since the display will mirror
them only if they are surrounded by strong R2L characters.

I expect that's in fact what arabic users expect, though an actual arabic person might want to speak up...

PNG image