Re: Completions in Semantic

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Completions in Semantic
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 01:12:47 -0500

>> Or icomplete-mode, yes.  These seem to only affect
>> minibuffer-completion-help (the standard function that displays the list
>> of possible completions, usually in *Completions*).  When I use
>> completion, I generally try to avoid getting to that point, tho.
> Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.

Just that you focus on "list the completion options", whereas usually
I'm more interested in "insert the common part of all the possible
completions that you can get from the text I already typed".

But to some extent it's true that the completion listing is the trickier
point left over now (Emacs-23's new completion code was specifically
designed to better address the "do the completion" part, and it's one of
the reason why I want to get most other completion code to use that new
code, so as to benefit from things like partial-completion).

> Ok, I might say something totally stupid, but you just need to map the UI
> actions to specific keys, which can be selected by the user. And on the

It's not stupid, but the question is how/where to put the hooks that
allow the particular UI backend to setup such bindings.  For minibuffer
completion, we have minibuffer-local-completion-map, but for in-buffer
completion we have no such thing (standard in-buffer completion like
lisp-complete-symbol doesn't use a keymap).

        Stefan