Scrollbar thumbs (was: Customizing the mode line)

From: grischka
Subject: Scrollbar thumbs (was: Customizing the mode line)
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 11:41:58 +0100

        I also find the scrollbar somewhat confusing: When the end of
 buffer is visible in the window, I would expect the scrollbar to reach
 all the way to the bottom, but it does not.

It does with some GUI and not with others.  In principle it should.
The only reason for it not to is to try and work around problems when
dragging the scrollbar thumb, where many GUI toolkits are absurdly
dogmatic and make it pretty much impossible for Emacs to do what
it should.

I guess it is just that these GUI toolkit people usually are trained to deliver good looking and pixel-precise artwork and in consequence might have some difficulties to imagine how it can be "pretty much impossibe" for some editor to know how many lines it is actually displaying (or anyway that such editor would still want to use their scrollbars).

--- grischka