Re: garbage-collect not called for .el files in loadup.el

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: garbage-collect not called for .el files in loadup.el
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 20:13:50 -0800 (PST)

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

  > > As the subject says, GC is not done after loading .el files in
  > > loadup.el, only .elc files.
  >
  > What difference does it make in practice?

More garbage is produced before gc, so the memory layout is worse.

  > > -      (unless purify-flag
  > > +      (if purify-flag
  > > +        (run-hook-with-args 'after-load-functions fullname)
  > >         (do-after-load-evaluation fullname))
  >
  > Nope, sorry, that's ugly.  You can simply remove the `unless
  > purify-flag' on the other hand, since Fload calls
  > do-after-load-evaluation unconditionally.

Not when using `load-source-file-function':

      /* We are loading a source file (*.el).  */
      if (!NILP (Vload_source_file_function))
        {
          Lisp_Object val;

          if (fd >= 0)
            emacs_close (fd);
          val = call4 (Vload_source_file_function, found, hist_file_name,
                       NILP (noerror) ? Qnil : Qt,
                       (NILP (nomessage) || force_load_messages) ? Qnil : Qt);
          return unbind_to (count, val);
        }