Re: unfill-paragraph (region) and indentation

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: unfill-paragraph (region) and indentation
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 10:43:04 +0100

   > I do not understand.  When I try it on your above paragraph, I get

   >   Hello this and this

   > which seems to be exactly what an "unfill" should do.  Could you
   > explain more precisely what you mean here?

I don't understand neither.

Let us consider the following 2 examples of larger texts.

We consider ballistic aggregation equation for gases in which each particle
is  either by its mass and impulsion or by its sole impulsion. For
the constant aggregation rate we prove existence of self-similar solutions as
well as convergence to the self-similarity for generic solutions. For some
classes of mass and/or impulsion dependent rates we are also able to estimate
the large time decay of some moments of generic solutions or to build some new
classes of self-similar solutions.

Here unfill paragraph (or region) works fine! I do not include this
examples because text will be over the 72th column
     We consider ballistic aggregation equation for gases in which each particle
     is  either by its mass and impulsion or by its sole impulsion. For
     the constant aggregation rate we prove existence of self-similar solutions
as
     well as convergence to the self-similarity for generic solutions. For some
     classes of mass and/or impulsion dependent rates we are also able to
estimate
     the large time decay of some moments of generic solutions or to build some
new
     classes of self-similar solutions.

Now as I realized just now, the unfill code works in a *message buffer*
without problems. However in a fundamental mode [1] (with all minor
modes turned off) it does not

The best I get is
See http://front.math.ucdavis.edu/ for a math specific front-end
         or point your web browser at http://arxiv.org/ for the generic
consider ballistic aggregation equation for gases in which each particle is
either by its mass and impulsion or by its sole impulsion. For the constant
aggregation rate we prove existence of self-similar solutions as well as
convergence to the self-similarity for generic solutions. For some classes of
mass and/or impulsion dependent rates we are also able to estimate the large
time decay of some moments of generic solutions or to build some new
     classes of self-similar solutions.

That is why I wrote that small delete-indentation-region function which
works perfectly for this example.

But I am now curious why is message mode special, I mean which is the
setting which is responsible for this behavior.

Uwe

Footnotes:

[1] (and for me more important in text modes)