Re: What primitive has moved point?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: What primitive has moved point?
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 07:39:24 -0500

    After point has been moved, how can I determine exactly which primitive
    did the moving?

I don't think there is a way to do that.

    If the user arrives at brace B through scan-lists (e.g. with C-M-u) I
    want to catch this (possibly by the use of point-entered/left text
    properties), and according to some user options, perhaps adjust point to
    brace A.

    However, if the user gets to brace B with forward-line (e.g., with C-p)
    I want to leave point well alone.

If there is a specific distinction that really needs to be made, we
could set up a mechanism to do it with.  But what about all the other
motion commands that exist?  characters, words, sentences, paragraphs,
pages, screen-line (M-r), search?

Maybe what you should do is make CC mode rebind the paren-based motion
keys to replacements, and make the CC mode code use the replacements.