Re: return values

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: return values
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:10:21 +0000

Hi, Andreas!

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:33:39AM +0100, Andreas Roehler wrote:

> Hi,

> IMHO it might be helpful, if classes of functions have a regular return
> value.

> For example functions which move point should return point.

Here, it's probably more accurate to say "would have been a good idea",
since some users of the current functions will use the current return
values, even if only relying on the fact that they're always nil.

> `goto-char' does it presently, beginning/end-of-defun not.

Indeed.

> Also I suggest mentioning the return value in docstring.

I am in favour of mentioning the return value of EVERY function, even
when (or _especially_ when :-) it's only a sentence like "The return
value is of no significance".

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).