Re: New bug tracker server

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: New bug tracker server
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:40:05 -0500

Thank you very much for setting up this debbugs instance.

> How should we go about editing the web-pages so that they make more
> sense for Emacs (bug#750)? Ideally, it would work in a similar way to
> the existing Emacs web-pages stored in the repository on Savannah.

We could arrange to store them under bzr.sv.gnu.org and refresh them
occasionally on debbugs.gnu.org from there.

> How about changing the debbugs program itself (eg bug#3060)? Do you
> think this is doable and/or wise?

Yes, I think it would be good.  There's a lot to improve, but some of
the changes can be easy to do (e.g. patches rejected upstream but
available in debbug's own bug tracker).

We should setup a local branch of debbugs for it, so we can track the
upstream code, of course.

> I think there is a problem with the mail-news gateway that needs
> addressing somehow (bug#936).

Unrelated rant: I've been a fervent usenet user for many years, but
I must say I find it more and more difficut to access usenet: even my
university's CS department (i.e. where I work) doesn't provide usenet
access any more.  I think usenet is sadly dying, replaced by
mailing-lists and crappy web-forums.

        Stefan