Vertical completions (was: completions - remove window after use?)

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Vertical completions (was: completions - remove window after use?)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:57:33 +0200

>> And speaking about *Completions*, would it be possible to fill the
>> completions column-first, not row-first as it is now?  I find it quite
>> unreasonable, as the display is column-wise, but not so filling, making
>> it harder to quickly skim through the list.
>
> I'm not sure why you find it unreasonable, but I'd find it inconvenient
> when the list overflows the window, to have a column-first listing since
> I couldn't then first scroll to the interesting area.

It's easier to skim through a list when completions are sorted
vertically in columns down the screen.

That's what `ls' does by default for the list of files unless
`-x' (`--format=horizontal') is specified.  As well as readline
completions in bash unless `print-completions-horizontally' is `On'.

The same would be desirable in Emacs, but it has a problem -
if columns were sorted vertically, Isearch will still visit matches
horizontally.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/