Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 15:57:13 -0500

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> How should we retrieve it?  The instructions at
>> https://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=emacs are wrong.  They say:
>
> Indeed, they are, and there's a good chance those generic instructions
> are wrong for every single project using Bzr on savannah (i.e. they
> should be changed).

Should the page say something like

  Anonymous Access

  bzr branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/PATH/TO/BRANCH

  ...where PATH/TO/BRANCH may vary but can probably be figured
  out by browing the tree at http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs

for now?  That seems like a reasonable workaround.  If you agree, I'll
file a ticket.

>>   Anonymous read-only access
>>     bzr branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs
>
> http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs (aka
> sftp://<membername>@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs) is the directory
> in which we get to play.  Andreas put up his copy of the repository in
> an `emacs' subdiretory in there.  But that is just a repository, whereas
> `bzr branch' wants a branch within this directory, so you'd need
>
>    bzr branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/emacs/<branch>
>
> where <branch> could be `trunk'.

Oh, thanks.  I know the difference between repositories and branches in
bzr, I just somehow unconsciously expected 'bzr branch' to do grab the
whole repository.

> If you try it, you'll probably die of boredom before it finishes.
> So better do an
>
>   scp -r sftp://<membername>@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs
>
> instead for the initial checkout: that'll be much faster.

scp doesn't even know about "sftp:"

  $ scp -r \
    sftp://address@hidden/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs emacs-bzr-repository
  ssh: Could not resolve hostname sftp: Name or service not known
  $

The command that seems to work is:

  $ scp -r address@hidden:/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs emacs-bzr-repository

Fetching now...