Re: Emacs commands for BTS on Debian

From: Peter S Galbraith
Subject: Re: Emacs commands for BTS on Debian
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:45:16 -0500

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 14 2009, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
>
> > The following might be convenient for Emacs developers who use
> > Debian or a Debian-based environment.  The Debian packages
> > `debian-el' and `dpkg-dev-el' now have the Emacs commands:
>
> Any chance to get this into Emacs?

I guess so, but it will require some code clean-up I suppose, and a
strategy for the rest of the Debian code.  I also have to see whether
"bug" menus are relevant outside of the Debian code.

> > `emacs-bug-get-bug-as-email':
> >   To fetch a bug report archive and read it via email. Makes replying
> >   easy. I use MH-E but other Email mail programs should work.
>
> There's also `gnus-read-ephemeral-emacs-bug-group' for Gnus users:
>
> ,----[ emacs/admin/notes/bugtracker ]
> | ** Gnus-specific voodoo
> |
> | *** Put point on a bug-number and try: M-x
> gnus-read-ephemeral-emacs-bug-group
> `----

Didn't know about that.  Then again, my code is old and might predate it.

> > `emacs-bts-control'
> >   To compose email messages to control@ with proper command completion.
>
> Sounds very useful.  Thanks.
>
> BTW, I don't see a response to Stefan's proposal:
>
> ,----[ http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/93575/focus=94984 ]
> | Forking wouldn't make much sense (at least as long as the backend
> | bug-tracker doesn't fork either).  Would you be willing to not only
> | contribute it to Emacs, but also help us adapt it so it can be used with
> | any debbugs instance (most importantly Debian's and Emacs's)?
> `----

It had probably been sent only to the list and I wasn't subscribed.  I
don't recall ever seeing it.

> How does it relate to what you implemented now?

Currently the Emacs specific commands are wrappers around the debian
code.  If I were to include the code in Emacs, I guess I'd do the
opposite and wrap the debian specifics over the Emacs generalities.

> > `emacs-bug-web-bug'
> >   (Trivial) Opens a bug number in a web page via browse-url.
>
> There also `bug-reference-mode' ...
>
> ,----[ emacs/admin/notes/bugtracker ]
> | *** bug-reference-mode
> |
> | Activate `bug-reference-mode' in ChangeLogs to get clickable links to
> | the bug web-pages.
> |
> | ** Gnus-specific voodoo
> |
> | *** Put point on a bug-number and try: M-x
> gnus-read-ephemeral-emacs-bug-group
> |
> | *** If the above is not available:
> | (add-hook 'gnus-article-mode-hook
> |           (lambda ()
> |              (setq bug-reference-url-format
> |
> "http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=%s";)
> |               (bug-reference-mode 1)))
> |
> | and you can click on the bug number in the subject header.
> `----

You're just a fountain of information!

Peter