Re: Completion keys and rectangles

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Completion keys and rectangles
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:32:58 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> Personally, I've been using TAB for that purpose.  It's convenient and
> natural since TAB is already used for completion in many other contexts,
> but it's also kind of tricky since TAB is also used for indentation.
> I resolve this problem by first trying indentation and if indentation
> did not do anything, then I try completion.  It works for me, but I'm
> not that thrilled about it.

There are many modes where this would be a good "first line" binding,
but obviously (er, I think :) there should be a globally usable
secondary binding too...

How about just binding as many xx-TAB keys as we can... M-TAB, C-TAB,
C-M-TAB, Alt-TAB, ..... that way, there's probably _something_ which
will work in any given situation (even terminal users can use ESC TAB),
and the technique for discovering it is simple..... just keep trying
different modifiers until something does something :)

-Miles

--
Christian, n. One who follows the teachings of Christ so long as they are not
inconsistent with a life of sin.