Re: Emacs 23.2 plans

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.2 plans
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:24:04 +0100

Tobias C. Rittweiler skrev:
Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

Chong Yidong skrev:
Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

I have completed the GConf/Xsetting code (after way to long time) now
and would like to check it in.  I don't know if it counts as a major
change, but its implications might.

Basically Emacs reads the system font name from GConf and uses that.
It also reacts to changes to the system font (can be turned off with a
defcustom). GConf support can be turned off in configure.
I'm not sure if there's enough time to test this.  Font-related changes
seem pretty tricky to get right.  What about checking this in but
disabling the configure option by default, and enabling it after Emacs
23.2?
I've done so.  But IMHO a couple of monthe pre-test is time enough to test it.

I'm interested in the change. How can I test it?

Make sure you have gconf development libraries installed (libgconf(2)-dev(el) or similar package).
Run configure.  Set font-use-system-font to t (it is in the menu Options also).
Use Gnome settings to change the monospaced font.
Also try to change dpi, hinting style and so on (this should work on KDE also). Emacs frames should be updated at once.

        Jan D.