Re: Defcustoms, how do users find them?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Defcustoms, how do users find them?
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 15:22:12 +0100

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 4:41 AM, Lennart Borgman
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Stefan Monnier
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> If it is really annoying to autoload defcustoms then maybe autoloading
>>> just defgroups would be a possibility? (Or are they already autoloaded
>>> in some way?)
>>
>> Yes, groups are autoloaded, thanks to cus-load.el.
>> We could make customize-variable's completion complete to all
>> defcustoms, using a similar scheme (and have customize-variable
>> automatically load the var's package if it's not yet loaded).
>> But autoloading the defcustoms is out of the question.
>
> I think that would solve the problem - if help/apropos functions also
> loaded the var's package.

As I understand it we then first have to modify
custom-make-dependencies so that it also collects defcustoms. Changing
the part where it write 'custom-loads to cus-dep.el should is enough
for this I guess, see below. Is this the way to do it? (And then add
the corresponding pieces to custom-variable-prompt etc.)

*** In custom-make-dependencies change to this ****

  (mapatoms (lambda (symbol)
              (let ((members (get symbol 'custom-group))
                    where found
                    (option (get symbol 'standard-value))
                    option-where option-found
                    )
                (when members
                  (dolist (member
                           ;; So x and no-x builds won't differ.
                           (sort (mapcar 'car members) 'string<))
                    (setq where (get member 'custom-where))
                    (unless (or (null where)
                                (member where found))
                      (push where found)))
                  (when found
                    (insert "(put '" (symbol-name symbol)
                            " 'custom-loads '")
                    (prin1 (nreverse found) (current-buffer))
                    (insert ")\n")))
                (when option
                  (setq option-where (get option 'custom-where))
                  (push option-where option-found)
                  (insert "(put '" (symbol-name symbol)
                          " 'custom-option-loads '")
                  (prin1 (nreverse found) (current-buffer))
                  (insert ")\n"))
                )))