Re: Comments on misearch.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Comments on misearch.el
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:54:46 +0200

Thank you for your feedback.  Feel free to post bug reports
about misearch.el to address@hidden if you want
to track the bug fixing progress ;-)

> I just tried misearch.el which provides the ability to search through
> multiple files / buffers via isearch. Thank you, Juri, for writing it,
> it's exactly what I need.
>
> (BTW., is there something like misearch but for query-replace, too?)

Yes, there is also multi-file query-replace.  It can be started
from Dired by marking files and typing `Q'.

> I do have some comments on it:
>
>   * The docstring of `multi-isearch-next-buffer-function' says that the
>     function is called with the current buffer as first argument.
>
>     However, in case of the initial buffer, it's actually called with
>     `nil' as first argument.
>
>    Is that intended? If so, the docstring should reflect that.
>    I now have in my next-buffer function
>
>      (setq current-buffer (or current-buffer (current-buffer)))
>
>    as a workaround.

Yes, this should be easy to fix.  I will do that.

>   * It'd be nice, not only to display "Repeat for next buffer", but
>     actually include the next buffer's name.

Good idea!  I'll try to implement this.

>   * If I'm in a file that contains matches, and I'm at the last match,
>     it exhibits the following behaviour in the minibuffer:
>
>       Multi Isearch: ...                         (pressing C-s)
>
>       Failing multi Isearch: ... [Repeat ...]    (pressing C-s)
>
>       jumps to first match in next buffer
>
>    However, if I'm in a buffer that won't have a match, I see the
>    following behaviour:
>
>       Multi Isearch: ..(incremently typing)..    --> turns to
>       Failing multi Isearch: ... [Repeat ...]    (pressing C-s)
>
>       Failing mutli Isearch: ...                 (pressing C-s)
>
>       goes to next file
>
>    I.e., as you can hopefully see, it expects one C-s too much. (The
>    line without the "[Repeat ...]" is superfluous.)

Could you please try with different values of `multi-isearch-pause'.
You can customize it to: "Don't pause", "Only in initial buffer"
or "All buffers".

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/