Re: Case mapping of sharp s

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Case mapping of sharp s
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:23:11 +0100

[ The following message is a courtesy copy of an article that has
  been posted to news:gmane.emacs.devel as well. ]

On Tue, Nov 17 2009, Kenichi Handa wrote:

> I don't know exactly.  It depends on the length of searching
> string; longer the string is, the more BM search is faster
> than simple serach.  At least, when this code was active,
>   ;; (set-downcase-syntax  ?İ ?i tbl)
>   ;; (set-upcase-syntax    ?I ?ı tbl)
> there were complaints about the slowdown.

Particularly in Gnus, searching for "X-Gnus-Article-Number" made
operations on large mbox/nnfolder files extremely slow.

See the tread "Slow operations on buffers of tens of megabytes"
(November 2006):

<http://thread.gmane.org/or4ptezc71.fsf%40fsfla.org> or
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/63925/focus=63929>
for the full thread.