Re: Defcustoms, how do users find them?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Defcustoms, how do users find them?
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 04:31:25 +0100

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 4:26 AM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> I tested this a little. Loading the new cus-load.el now takes about
>> 2.5 times longer time than before. (This is an old pc, it now takes
>> 0.5 sec.) There are approx 15 000 put statements (before there were
>> approx 1000).
>
>> Is this the way to go to get completion etc for unloaded options (and faces)?
>
> I think the basic idea is right, but I think that using `put' for those
> variables is not a good idea (it makes the cus-load.el file large and
> slow).  It's probably preferable to build a single alist associating
> file names to the list of vars defined in them (or maybe a hash-table).
>
> Of course, I haven't tried it, so it may end up being just as slow/big.

Maybe, I just tried to build on what is there. It turns out that after
byte compiling the new cus-load.el loads in 0.1 sec on my quite old
pc.

Are there other aspects that makes it worth investigating this more?
Maybe memory use? I can't see that efficiency in loading could be
affected very much.