Re: Inadequate documentation of silly characters on screen.

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Inadequate documentation of silly characters on screen.
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:40:53 +0900

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:
> Once again, I'm getting silly characters on the screen.  In *scratch*,
> where's I've written "ñ", what gets displayed is "\361".  It may have
> happened when I upgraded to Emacs 23.

Does it happen with "emacs -Q"?

How do you "write" ñ (do you use an input method?  Type it on your
keyboard...?)?

What language environment do you use (if you don't set it explicitly, it
will be set automatically from the LANG environment variable)?

Do you use X emacs, emacs in a tty, etc.?  If tty emacs, which type of
terminal do you use?

-Miles

--
Defenceless, adj. Unable to attack.