Re: AW: AW: Tabs in Emacs?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: AW: AW: Tabs in Emacs?
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:52:47 +0900

"Berndl, Klaus" <address@hidden> writes:
> IMHO tabs should an a frame-basis and each tab should display
> window-configurations, i.e. switching to a tab X should display exactly the
> window-layout and contents as X has contained when the user has left it
> And each window of the window-configuration of a tab should contain it's
> headerline...
>
> Is this understandable?

Sure, but... it may not exactly be what's most convenient for users --
again, it's a hard issue.

While a window-configuration switching implementation is useful in some
cases (e.g. eclipses uses a sort of similar system for switching between
"debugging view" "browsing view" etc), how would the different
configurations get set up ?  I can imagine a system that required
explicit user action ("add a new tab with current config"), but...

I think many users might just want to switch between buffers, and have
tabs automatically added for each buffer (perhaps limiting the number
displayed in a MRU fashion, e.g., how eclipse handles source file tabs).
That seems to be more similar to how tabs work in e.g. visual studio,
and other editors...

argh... :]

-miles

--
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.