Re: limit the number of log entries displayed by C-x v l

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: limit the number of log entries displayed by C-x v l
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:19:18 -0800 (PST)

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

  > > Here's a patch that implements only showing a single log entry from
  > > vc-annotate.
  > > It adds a START-REVISION argument to the print-log VC method.
  > > It adds a boolean argument to vc-print-log-internal, when set it means
  > > that the WORKING-REVISION argument is the start revision.
  >
  > > What do you think?
  >
  > Doesn't look too bad.  Maybe the UI part could be improved (e.g. show
  > the single log-comment in a tooltip), but that's fairly minor.
  >
  > Having tried it on Bzr I see that it's still sufficiently slow with that
  > backend, that I might prefer to see the complete log so I can then
  > navigate it to see the various revisions I'm interested in, rather than
  > get a single-comment N times.

Then one can just do C-x v l ...
The reason I found your idea to show a single entry interesting: with
the limiting of C-x v l output that we do now by default, you can ask
for a log in vc-annotate and not get it if the log entry is old enough.
It's rather nice to see exactly the entry you asked for.

So what should we do?