Re: Tabs in Emacs?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Tabs in Emacs?
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 21:08:34 +0200

> Thoughts?

What you describe was implemented in the first prototype of
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/93208/focus=94508
that I have later used as the basis of implementing "real" tabs.

In the current implementation, the frame-based tab-bar is located
below the tool-bar.  The C part mostly duplicates code from the
non-tookit implementation of the tool-bar.  So there already exists
a non-tookit version of the tab-bar that works without crashes.

As for the GTK implementation, I still have unresolved problems.
I'd like to share the current code, so all Emacs developers would
be able to contribute to the development of the GTK part or to
improve code to place the tool-bar and the tab-bar anywhere
in the window tree, etc.

Sending a 4000-line patch to address@hidden doesn't make sense.
Ideally, I'd like to create a new branch in a dVCS.  I regret we still
not switched to bzr where a new branch could be created cheaply.

Any suggestions on how to proceed with the implementation instead
of many years of talking about benefits of this highly useful feature?
(I can't now image how I used Emacs without tabs in a one-frame
configuration.)

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/