Re: questions about blink-cursor-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: questions about blink-cursor-mode
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:06:21 -0500

> Thanks, Juanma. Now that I see that explanation, I recall that I knew
> this at one time - but I guess I forgot it. Note that not only is it
> not declared (e.g.  defvar), it is also not bound, which is why `C-h
> v' doesn't recognize it.

The first problem is in the docstring:

  It finishes by running the mode hook variable `MODE-hook'.

this repeats a very widespread misconception, which is that those hooks
are variables.  They're not: a hook is a symbol, not a variable.
That's why it can work even if the variable by that name is not bound.

        Stefan