Re: CamelHump word movement in Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CamelHump word movement in Emacs
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 16:31:56 -0500

>>> I think this feature is generally useful and has nothing to do with
>>> C, so I propose to rename it (and its commands and the file) to
>>> `subword-mode' or `camelcase-mode'.
>> IIRC the same suggestion to make it generic came up right around the
>> Emacs-23 freeze, which is why it didn't happen.  If someone wants to
>> make this generic *right now* he'd better hurry.
> Ok, here it is (attached to this mail).  I removed all cc-mode
> dependencies (which were all about XEmacs and old emacs version
> compatibility anyway).

> Is it ok to commit?

It needs to add some compatibility aliases or adjust the CC-mode (and
maybe other?) code that refers to those functions with their old name.
Also, I'd prefer to rename the functions so that they all share
a `subword-' prefix.

> If yes, how do I do that with CVS?  cvs delete progmodes/cc-subword.el
> and cvs add subword.el?

Yes.  Please make sure you commit the add and the delete as a single
commit rather than as two separate commits.

> There seems to be no renaming command.

Indeed, there's no support for renaming.

> And what do I have to write into the ChangeLog?

Usually I write one entry for the new name that says something like
"Rename from <oldname>".  You can also add second entry for the old name
that says "Rename to <newname>".  You'll also want to add to the entry
for the new name the changes performed (renaming of the functions, ...),
of course.

        Stefan