Re: Case mapping of sharp s

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Case mapping of sharp s
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:41:00 +0900

David Kastrup writes:

 > > But maybe we're doing something silly somewhere.
 >
 > The Emacs 22 multibyte scheme likely had worse properties for reverse
 > searching.  So maybe something might be simplified nowadays.

Nope.  The basic nature of the representation and even algorithms are
the same.  The main difference is that the leading-byte to character
length map in Mule coding is somewhat arbitrary, while in UTF-8
there's an algorithm for computing it.  In both cases, the sane
algorithm is to keep a 256-entry table of corresponding lengths and
use the octet as an index into that table.